Friday, November 14, 2008

pikachu christmas?!

In Japan they eat Christmas cake. Personally I found this tradition about the easiest to adjust to. I thought it was slightly different for about a whole second and now every year I try to bake my own. It is easy to get inspired by the various cake catalogs found in department stores, bakeries, and convenience stores. Almost always there is a French log cake and of course a sponge cake with strawberries but this year I found a Pikachu cake.



Wow! This isn't some sheet cake with some decorations. It's his head! Nothing says Christmas like Pikachu's head on a platter. Did I mention the inside is Japanese style pudding surrounded by cream? For 3,500 yen it's yours to take home and assemble with your parents.

5 comments:

Karencilla said...

It's incredible how traditions are different in every culture.
Here, we always have the traditional fruitcake.

Akazukin said...

I forgot about fruitcake!I think in the U.S. each family has their own traditions as well. It's possible some people have cake. My impression is that in Japan there is a huge focus on the Christmas cake whereas in the States we have a huge holiday season of cookies, pies, gingerbread houses, parties, and dinners. I have to say there certainly seems to be enough Christmas spirit considering most people are not Christian. I realize it is mostly commercial but I don't care.

Karencilla said...

Yes, it is mostly commercial. Here is a tradition to have turkey and ham with rice & guandú (a panamanian bean), potato salad and sweet ripe plantain.

One Tree Family said...

I might have missed this, but are you intending to attempt to make said cake?

Akazukin said...

Ha-ha, no Pikachu cakes here. Maybe if I was seven and could stomach cream with pudding. I will probably make a favorite devil's food cake instead.